The Things Hannah Loves

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How to build a Strawberry Shortcake Car!


Need to build a car?? No problem! Get the kids together and have some FUN!
This was my friend's daughter's kindergarten "transportation" project (I know, kinder project??) She asked me if I could help and I jumped at the opportunity! I love these sort of projects! She has three kids, so we got the whole family together and built a strawberry shortcake car!!

Here are some pictures and some tips if you ever plan on doing this--or have to do this for a school project haha. (Break it up and do one step each day--or in our case, one day out of the week for one month.)

STEP 1: STRUCTURE  |  Materials: Cardboard + Masking Tape
NO GLUE NECESSARY. I don't bother with glue because it's messy and takes too long to dry. Masking tape is strong enough to hold the car together until you can paper mache it. To do curves and bends, just score the cardboard AGAINST (perpendicular) the grain of the cardboard. Score it deep enough to cut the first and part of the middle layer but NOT the last layer of the cardboard.

I let them draw on it while I was constructing some of the harder sections of the car--so that's why there's purple marker everywhere haha. they're all artists ;)




STEP 2: PAPER MACHE  |  Materials: Liquid Starch + Newsprint Paper
Liquid Starch can be found in the Laundry Detergent aisle. (Blue bottle at Walmart!) Just tear newsprint paper (found at Michaels Craft Store) long ways (it'll be easier to tear one way than the other) and soak it in starch. Use your fingers to remove excess starch and cover the entire car!



  THEN IT DRIES WHITE--and gets super sturdy as well!







STEP 3: PAINTING  |  Materials: Tempera Paint or Acrylic Paint
Tempera/Acrylic paint is thicker than washable paints so you'll only need to paint one coat.
(After we painted it, we cut out strawberry seeds on cardstock paper and glued them on the seat area)







STEP 4: DETAILS  |  Materials: Whatever comes to mind!! Let your creative juices FLOW!
We did:
--License plates (front and back) with glitter foam sticker paper (just cut it out with scissors).
--Felt Strawberry with craft felt and pillow stuffing
--Wheels: Painted 4 ply strathmore (super heavy cardstock)
--Ribbon for the straps so that she can wear it
--Felt + Reflective paper for the "side mirrors"








STEP 5: THE PARADE!
The car was for Christin (if you haven't guessed already haha)--who also happened to be "Friend of the Week" in her kindergarten class, so she got to be line leader at the parade! She's so adorable!! AH!

They had a racing flag and the mayor came out to start the parade. I couldn't go because of work, but I wish  was there!!! All the kids with their transportation projects parading around the school?? Ah, sounds so fun!





Now that the project is all done, I'm just super glad that the kids had fun!! And now, when they see newsprint paper they think "paper mache!" haha soooo cute. I hope they'll forever remember me as the "fun auntie Hannah who made a strawberry shortcake car with them" ;)

Questions? Just leave a comment and I'll get back to you!

19 comments:

  1. Hi.I am doing a car for my little sister I was wondering how did you do the back part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the structure or the embellishments? For the structure I did each piece as separate cardboard pieces and taped it together. For curves you have to score the cardboard against the grain and then bend it to get a nice curve. For the embellishment I used sticky glitter foam sheets and just cut and stuck it on. Hope that helped--email me if you have more questions: thethingshannahloves@gmail.com :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, my....I wish I had a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks great, I'm doing a box car for my son and I wanted to know how many pads of newsprint paper did it take to cover the entire car? Also how many layers does it need? Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we bought this I think Michaels ran out of pads so we just bought 8.5x11 ream of newsprint--I think we just used 1 pack--it doesn't take as much as you think since you're ripping them into strips. Just 1 layer is needed if your structure is built well! If you have additional questions feel free to email me at thethingshannahloves@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the quick reply! I have one of the large pads so I'm hoping that will be enough. One more question can this be spray painted? Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. Yes! you can totally spray paint it. I just used tempera paint so that the kids can paint it themselves. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi would you be willing to make and sell one? If so how much? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! My son is 2 and 8 months old, he's having a festival next week, and we have to make a car for him. I want to ask you is the car strong enough for a toddler to play in it? Does it break or bend easliy if he fell on it or any little accident?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! My son is 2 and 8 months old, he's having a festival next week, and we have to make a car for him. I want to ask you is the car strong enough for a toddler to play in it? Does it break or bend easliy if he fell on it or any little accident?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! If you paper mache the car, then it will be super sturdy. It will not break unless you intentionally try to crush it. :) Hope that helps! (Use strong cardboard as well--don't use flimsy thin boxes)

      Delete
  8. I love it! everything about it is so cute and amazing. My daughter is having a project like this, I just wanted to know if you had the sketch to cut out the cardboard and put it all together kind of like a step-by-step. Thank you, by the way amazing job you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI! Thank you for your sweet comment. I'm sorry, I didn't use a template or sketch--I just did it by hand and eyeballed everything. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was wondering if you could use newpaper???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! Yes you can! :)
      The newsprint might show through so you might need to paint a 2nd coat.

      Delete
  11. How long did it take for the paper mache to dry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would wait 24 hours before you put on another coat just to be safe. :)

      Delete
  12. Do you have a pattern for this lovely Strawberry Shortcake car??

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...